Marketing the Dead

Friday, November 18, 2011

Got this as a gift tonight. Yes I do consider dead butterflies as gifts, especially when they die with artistic drama. Real ones make great models for art projects like this one.


I made those last year for Halloween, and they were sturdy enough to wear again about a month ago this past Halloween. Last year I was looking around the Internet to buy a pair but couldn't find what I was looking for, and so. . . . I got like eighty feet of aluminum wire, boxes of black nylons, and four colors of acrylic paint. Took about a week and $15, really fun to do. What I was not expecting when I wore them this year, was offers for them! It seems there's a market for almost anything? Someone suggested eBay and I said hmm, interesting. . . . I've only done it once but I could probably do it again; supplies are cheap. The only foreseeable issue is that it's niche-y--and really, who wants them any time other than October?--so garnering traffic might have to be as creative a process as making the wings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you! Complaints, praise, rants, raves - I wanna know!